Saturday, June 20, 2009

Stupid Hair Commercial/Overwhelmed


Before I forget - I was trying to find online this Garnier Fructis hair commercial that really offended me. You know those commercials where the actress has a bad hair day, uses Garnier and her hair becomes perfect. Typical hair commercial, and I rather enjoy their commercials. The bright colors, funky music, it works for me. I haven't used their products yet, but some naturals rave about them.

But the other day I saw one commercial, where the actress, a white woman, had a full out afro that was supposed to represent her BAD hair day. It was a huge but regular afro as far as texture. WTH? Her "perfect" hair transformation was sleek, shiny straight hair down her back.

I don't know why I'm acting surprised, like the media doesn't constantly denigrate african american hair, but it just surprised me that in this day and age, when more and more black women are choosing to wear their hair in natural states that Garnier would depict the afro as bad/unattractive hair. I wish I could post the commercial in case some haven't seen it. Hmph. Rant over.

****OH, one more thing. As I was searching for the Garnier commercial, I came across a Garnier ad, where there's a group of white (maybe one Latina) singing an r&b song about how lovely Garnier Fructis is. Its a full out pop/r&b video, dancing, clubbing, skimpy outfits and all. They even had a guest rapper to complete the song...MEMPHIS BLEEK! AHAHHAHAHA. It was SO wrong on so many levels! First of all I thought Memphis Bleek was supposed to be this hardcore rapper from "the roc". Sure he hasn't had a hit in damn near forever but still, doesn't he have ANY dignity? How can you go from rapping about hoes and selling drugs and being from the streets to rapping in a hair commercial??? Not to mention there were NO black WOMEN in that singing group, in fact, no other black PEOPLE in that video aside from him, but that's another topic for another day. I guess he doesn't mind being exploited as long as he gets that much needed check.

______________________________________



So the rest of this post will just be a list of things I NEED to get accomplished but I feel so overwhelmed by it all. I don't know what making a list will do, but here goes.

SHORT TERM- Laundry
- Pay bills!!!
- Clean apartment
- Go to dentist
- Figure out what to do with my hair
- Cook
- Consolidate my student loans/ figure out more manageable repayment plan
- pick up contacts/order new glasses
- library

LONG TERM- Lose 45lbs (and update my ticker on this blog, I forgot my password so I can't edit it :( ) Thinking about joining Weight Watchers...
- Grow healthy, strong hair. Length would be the cherry on top
- Paint and otherwise decorate my apartment in a more cohesive fashion
- Get a cat
- Find cheap african dance classes
- Quit biting my nails to nubs
- Go to GYN (which will be slightly depressing since he always asks me why I don't have a man yet :( :( :( )
- Go to primary doctor re: shoulder and ankle pain
- Take a pottery or painting class
- Figure out how to balance work and the rest of life!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I've seen that commercial all the time.. n honesty i dont get it. isn't the hair suppose to be dry n straw like looking to sell the story? it seems they trying to tell us afro hair is a no no keep perming it straight.

    ReplyDelete